Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Web Confusion

It seems some people are confusing Web Design with Web Development. Just because you have mastered HTML does instantly make you a Web Developer It takes a whole lot more than that. I remember several years ago I took an introductory course in Web Design covering HTML, CGI, and a bit of CSS. Upon completion of the course, I was really excited. I was like, "World here I come." Approximately, I saw an ad by this online classified advert service about doing websites on contract basis. I said to myself, Wow, this is my kind of job." So that morning I put on my shirt and tie looking forward to being employed. When I got to the company's office, I asked for Remi, the webmaster, and within a few minutes he showed up and asked me to take a seat. A few minutes later, I got the rudest shock of my life. He asked, "Are you familar with ColdFusion," I just stared. Then," Can you design dynamic sites?"Again, I just stared.

I came out of this exercise feeling very depressed. I had never been this humiliated. So for the next four years I learnt HTML, Javascript, CSS, and XML .

If you want to be a full-fledged developer you need to learn HTML, XHTML, XML, XSLT, server and client scripting. Good luck.

No comments: